Artist Teacher Scheme
The Artist Teacher Scheme
is an expanding programme of continuing professional development courses devised by partnerships between
galleries or museums and university schools of fine art and design to enable teachers to regain or develop their personal practice as artists
in the context of the contemporary visual arts.
All Artist Teacher Scheme courses are open to:-
- teachers of art and design with a graduate qualification in art and design who currently work in primary, secondary, further or higher education
- artist educators with a graduate qualification in art and design who work in schools or in gallery and museum programmes
Benefits of the Scheme
- the ability to introduce contemporary thinking and practice into your own activity as an artist
- the acquisition and enhancement of knowledge and skills and the generation of new ideas
- increased satisfaction from re-charged creative practice and effectiveness of work in school
- the development of wider professional networks
- opportunities for further research
Provisions of the Scheme
- studio and seminar facilities
- informed and supportive access to modern and contemporary art and to artists in residence
- tuition, critique and support by academic staff and visiting artist lecturers
- structured as well as informal discussion and debate
- pathways to MA qualifications and further research
Courses and progression
Three levels courses are offered at most centres:-
- Artist Teacher Entry Level: mixed menu activity courses of from one to five days' duration
- Artist Teacher Intermediate Level: series of one-day weekend and/or midweek twilight sessions
- Masters degree courses: part-time over two or three years
Course fees vary from centre to centre: see each centre's course synopsis for details.
Costs are borne individually by participating teachers or their schools.
Some MA course fees are subsidised by awards provided by the Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA).
Please note that at present this partial fee support is only available to teachers in state schools who have qualified teacher status.
How to find out more and to enrol
NSEAD's web site (www.nsead.org) carries details of each centre's Artist Teacher Scheme courses, Artist Teacher
Scheme events and other information and is updated regularly.
For further information and to enrol please contact each centre directly.
General enquiries can be addressed to:-
T: 01225 810134
NSEAD thanks colleagues at all partnership galleries and universities for their generosity in contributing
courses and resources to the Artist Teacher Scheme.