Initial Teacher Training - Trainers Pack and Programme
Research Centres, Networks and Journals
Research Centres, Networks
Most research is driven, at least in part, by personal interest and this is certainly the case with a lot of research in the field of art education. The researcher can often feel isolated and find it difficult to locate support in the process of a research project, particularly for those relatively new to research or working in small institutions with few other specialist colleagues. As the pressure increases on educators at all levels to demonstrate that they are reflective practitioners, the need for a support network or a 'hub' of information is essential.
This part of the site sets out links to some of the major research centres and networks in addition to the key journals concerned specifically with art education.
The links in this part of the site are to research centres and journals which are specifically related to art education, you may well find others which have an art dimension embedded within a broader educational context. For example, the British Journal of Educational Technology (URL: www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0007-1013&site=1 )or the journal Streetwise, (Journal of the Built Environment Education Association) may well consider papers, which address art education or public art themes. The growing area of online journals is also worth considering in your searches.
Research centres, networks
- ADAM (URL: adam.ac.uk/) The gateway to art, design, architecture and media information on the internet
- Art and Design specific (Scottish) sites (URL: www.scottishresearch.com/)
- Art Research links on BUBL (URL: www.bubl.ac.uk/link/a/artresearch.htm) Free User-Friendly Access to Selected Internet Resources Covering all Subject Areas, with a Special Focus on Library and Information Science
- Artworks (Clore Duffield Foundation) (URL: www.art-works.org.uk/research/index.shtml) Through the Artworks programme, the Clore Duffield Foundation undertakes research into key issues relating to art and design education. This research is used to lobby for better support and provision for the visual arts in schools, galleries and museums.
- CAEIR (URL: www.roehampton.ac.uk/caeir/) CAEIR is located at Froebel College in the University of Surrey Roehampton. Based in the School of Education Studies, CAEIR has been directed by Professor Rachel Mason since it was set up in 1995. It is affiliated to the Art Teaching Area which provides specialist initial and in-service courses for art, craft and design teachers at all education levels and has two full time and three part time staff and a visiting research fellow. The Centre currently has fourteen PhD students.
- CLTAD (Centre for Learning and Teaching in Art and Design) (URL: www.linst.ac.uk/cltad/home.htm)
- CHEAD Council for Higher Education in Art and Design (URL: www.chead.net/)
- DEGAS (URL: www.strath.ac.uk) DEG@S is dedicated to research and consultancy with the art, design and education communities. The group is based at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow.
- Design Council - Learning and teaching (URL: www.designcouncil.org.uk/)
- EPPI (UK) URL: eppi.ioe.ac.uk/EPPIWeb/home.aspx) EPPI-Centre was established in 1993 to address the need for a systematic approach to the organisation and review of evidence-based work on social interventions. The work and publications of the Centre engage health and education policy makers, practitioners and service users in discussions about how researchers can make their work more relevant and how to use research findings. An increasing number of the publications are made available on this website.
- GETTY (URL: www.getty.edu/research/) About the Research Institute Learn about what we do, who we are, and how to contact us.
- InSEA (URL: www.insea.org/inseaweb/index.html) The International Society for Education through Art
- LTSN Learning and Teaching Support Network (Art Design and Communication) (URL: www.bton.ac.uk/adc-ltsn/intro.htm) The Subject Centre for Art, Design & Communication (ADC) is part of the Learning & Teaching Support Network (LTSN) established by the Higher Education Funding Councils for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales to promote high quality learning and teaching in subject communities.
- NAEA (USA) (URL: www.naea-reston.org/) National Art Education Association.
- NFER National Foundation for Educational research (URL: www.nfer.ac.uk/research/theme.asp) Theme of Arts Education.
- NSEAD (URL: www.nsead.org/) Welcome to the National Society for Education in Art & Design (NSEAD) web site. If you teach art, craft or design in primary or secondary schools, or in further or higher education, this site is for you. Gallery educators, artists in residence, parents and all those with an interest in arts education will find much that is useful. There is information here about teaching and learning resources, events, in-service education, publications, research, careers in art and design, and very much more. Links are provided to key art and design education sites worldwide.
- Scottish Research Information System (URL: www.scottishresearch.com/)
- SCRE Scottish Centre for Research in Education (URL: www.scre.ac.uk/)
- VADS (Visual Arts Data Service) (URL: vads.ahds.ac.uk/) Providing, preserving and promoting digital resources for research learning and teaching
- AskERIC (URL: www.askeric.org/) In response to questions we've received at AskERIC, our network information specialists have compiled over 3000 resources on a variety of educational issues. This collection includes Internet sites, educational organizations, and electronic discussion groups.
- British Education Internet Resource Catalogue (URL: brs.leeds.ac.uk/~beiwww/beir.html) This growing database gives access to approximately 1,700 records from the first stages of the internet resource catalogue being created by the British Education Index.
- Education On Line (URL: www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/) Education-line is a freely accessible database of the full text of conference papers, working papers and electronic literature which supports educational research, policy and practice.
- ERIC Digests (URL: www.ericfacility.net/ericdigests/index/abtERICDig.html)
- short reports (1,000 - 1,500 words) on topics of prime current interest in education.
- targeted specifically for teachers, administrators, policymakers, and other practitioners, but generally useful to the broad educational community.
- designed to provide an overview of information on a given topic, plus references to items providing more detailed information.
- produced by the 16 subject-specialized ERIC Clearinghouses, and reviewed by experts and content specialists in the field.
- funded by the Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), of the U.S. Department of Education (ED).