"Digital Art Will Save Us!" is back! This is a professional development course designed for teachers, by teachers, to develop digital art skills and projects for your classroom with Adobe Creative Cloud. Digital Art Will Save Us is brought to you in partnership with NSEAD, Ideas Foundation and Edge Gain Ltd, designers of digital learning and teaching creative digital skills. Our mission is to inspire and educate.
What is it?
This course consists of 5 live-online workshops produced by Edge Gain Ltd. This is a great refresher for teachers who took part in our first Digital Art Will Save Us course, but also a perfect opportunity for teachers who are new to digital art or who want to develop new skills.
When and Where?
Live-online sessions start weekly on Zoom from Tuesday 2nd to 30th May. All online sessions will be recorded so you can watch back and catch up in your own time if you can't make the live sessions. See below for a week-by-week run down of the content covered by this course.
What do you need to take part?
- A commitment to complete the course!
- A computer that can run Adobe Creative Cloud apps
- Access to Adobe Creative Cloud
About the course:
No previous knowledge or experience of digital media is required for this course. We aim to give you the skills and inspiration to start your digital journey and build the confidence required to bring engaging digital art projects to your students.
This course will introduce digital tools like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Express and Adobe Animate. We'll explore the basics of key digital design concepts like digital collage, digital imaging and animation.
- The course consists of five live-online weekly sessions with an on-demand catch up option for those who can't make the live sessions
- Provides a guided pathway to developing digital skills with Adobe apps and give you digital art projects you can bring into your classroom
- Each live session is based on an assignable short project plus an extension project
- Live sessions will last 90 minutes via Zoom
- This course will be relevant to both primary and secondary educators
- You'll explore a variety of Adobe industry standard apps which are essential tools for digital painting and illustration, animation, video and graphic design including Express, Photoshop, Animate, Aero, Character Animator
- You'll create a digital portfolio and learning journal
- Participants who complete the course will receive a course certificate and digital badge
Here's what you will be doing, week by week:
Week 1: Digital Collage with Adobe Express and Adobe Photoshop
Learn about layers, masking, textures and blending modes.
Set up your learning journal and digital portfolio with Adobe Express page.
Learn the fundamentals of digital imaging and collage using Adobe Photoshop to create a digital graffiti protest image in the style of Banksy.
Undertake a simple project that is ready to run in your classroom, that can be executed on other software programs, such as Adobe Express Graphics
Meet guest expert collage artist Maria Dyer Santos.
Week 2: Using tools
Take a deeper dive into the clever selection, masking and blending tools in Adobe Photoshop, using the imagery that has been collected, or stock that we provide.
Create a photomontage image of a character and a background that we shall use later when we move on to Adobe Animate.
Hear from guest speaker Ted Joyce Fox, who will tell us about the innovative digital curriculum that he has rolled out to a consortium of schools in South London.
Week 3: Exploring timeline
Learn about the use of the timeline in Adobe Photoshop
Look at both frame animation to create short reciprocating gif animations and Cinemagraph (a combination of still and moving image).
Using inspiration from the early 20C Dada art movement, looking at the work of collage artist Hannah Hoch.
Week 4: The fundamentals of animation
Getting started with Adobe Animate.
Create a simple Dada frame by frame animation bringing inanimate objects to life and taking our digital collages to a new dimension (time).
Week 5: Finalise your projects
Create a short looping animation
Dive deeper into Adobe Animate
Focus on tweens and adding audio to your short surreal landscapes.
How much does it cost?
- NSEAD members = £75 *NSEAD members use promo code: NSEADEG23
- NSEAD non-members = £100
Date - Live-online sessions start weekly on Zoom from Tuesday 2nd to 30th May
Time: 6pm - 7:30pm