BCU are seeking to appoint a Subject External Examiner for the BA (Hons) Art and Design.
This programme is based within the School of Art, Faculty of Arts, Design and Media. The position does require the external examiner to be a practicing artist or designer and hold a teaching or management position within a Higher Education institution. Previous experience as an External Examiner is desired. The appointments will commence on the 6th January and the tenure of appointments is for a period of four years. All External Examiner appointments are subject to approval by the University Academic Board.
· Comment on the content of the subject area particularly with regard to subject benchmarks
· Examine assessment briefs, exam papers and student work to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other UK higher education establishments of which the external examiner has experience
· Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the programme/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
· Attend a minimum of one examination board per year and submit an annual report
· Engage in communication with the programme team
Please note that external examiners are required to engage with assessment of both theory and practice elements of the programme where relevant. Ideally, External Examiners will be able to examine across both the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Previous experience as an External Examiner is not necessary as the University is able to provide mentorship to the successful applicants.
Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking for External Examiners to cover the following modules on the BA (Hons) Art and Design Course:
· ART5135: Establishing Art and Design Practice 1 (40 credits)
· ART5137: Contemporary and Historical Contexts (20 credits)
· ART5139: Establishing Art and Design Practice 2 (40 credits)
· ART5136: Establishing Art and Design Practice 2: (20 credits)
· ADM5006: Collaborative Practice (20 credits)
· ADM5000: Work Placement (20 credits)
· ART6133: Research in Practice (Dissertation) (40 credits)
· ADM6006 (occurrence N): Major Project (60 credits)
· ART6134: Professional Practice (20 credits)
Please indicate in the additional information section of your application that you are interested in this specific vacancy. Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system. BCU welcome receiving applications by Monday 9th December.