This twilight session, in partnership with the Royal Opera House’s Create & Design team will focus on the value and ability to utilise industry led learning in the classroom with reference to Create & Design (KS1-3) and ROH Design Challenge (Secondary and FE/HE).
Watch and join in with an exciting session of live making with professional set designer Ruth Paton and hear from members of the Create & Design team and fellow teachers about how developing ‘design thinking’ in children and young people can increase creative confidence and develop skills around empathy, prototyping and sketchbooks.
This session includes a live set design making workshop ‘How a designer takes an idea from the page to the stage’ to take part please bring:
- Computer audio on (to listen to track)
- Bring a magazine (home/lifestyle)
- White paper to rip up, plenty
- Tin Foil
- Cereal packet to rip up
- Tissue paper (optional)
- 1 piece of card A4
- Masking tape
- Model making
- Designing from music
More about Create & Design:
Create & Design supports you to develop children’s ‘design thinking’ using the process designers take to bring a story from the page to the stage.
- Create & Design aims to increase teacher confidence to deliver the Design & Technology and Art & Design curriculums, in primary schools across England.
- Created with teachers for teachers, the CPD training explores the process theatre designers use to take a ballet from page to stage.
- By taking part teachers learn how to cultivate creativity and ‘design thinking’ in children, by taking them through the research, exploration and development of original ideas to meet a design brief set by the Director of The Royal Ballet.
- Our teacher training, classroom films, lesson plans and resources a free to use in ways that suit the needs of teachers and their students. Teachers do not need any previous knowledge of ballet, opera or stage design in order to take part.