Learning about ourselves through 2D and 3D collage
Discuss with the children the idea of self-image and personal identity. Ask them a series of questions:
- How do they see themselves?
- How would they like other people to see them?
- What are the five words they would use to describe themselves? How would their best friend describe them?
- Which is the most vivid dream that they can remember?
- How do they like spending time?
- What is their favourite colour, dinner, place?
- What gift would they give to the world?
Ask the children to bring into school an object that is significant in some way (it should be an inanimate object). It should be small enough to carry with them; if it is too big, ask them to bring a photograph or drawing of it instead. Set up a 'circle time' activity to encourage the children to talk about their object, one at a time, explaining why it is special to them.